Theodore B. Cornblatt
Direct Dial: 410-468-1383
Theodore B. Cornblatt graduated with honors from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1966 and served as an editor of the Maryland Law Review. Upon being admitted to the Bar, he joined the law firm of Smith, Somerville & Case in Baltimore and became a partner of the firm in 1972. He continued practicing law at that firm until 1998, specializing in the field of workers' compensation law. He and other members of Smith, Somerville & Case then founded the firm of Cornblatt, Bennett, Penhallegon & Roberson. In addition to handling workers' compensation cases, Mr. Cornblatt is a certified mediator and regularly engages in mediation and arbitration.
For many years, Mr. Cornblatt has chaired and participated in educational programs for attorneys and judges regarding mediation and workers' compensation. He is the author of books published by the Maryland Institute for Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL) and numerous articles published in various professional journals.
Mr. Cornblatt has also served as a leader in the legal community. He was President of the Bar Association of Baltimore City and Chairman of its Young Lawyers' Section. He has also been a member of the Board of Governors of the Maryland State Bar Association and chaired the State Bar's Section of Negligence, Insurance and Workers’ Compensation. In addition, he has been a member of the American Bar Association's National Council of Bar President.
- Founding principal of Cornblatt, Bennett, Penhallegon & Roberson, P.A., January 1, 1998.
- Former member of Smith, Somerville & Case, L.L.C.
- Partner (1972 – 1997)
- Associate (1966 – 1971)
- Cases litigated in all Maryland Trial and Appellate Courts, Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission, U.S. District Court, U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Office of Workers' Compensation Programs, and District of Columbia Office of Workers' Compensation
University of Maryland, B.A., with High Honors (1964)
- University of Maryland, J.D., with Honors (1966)
- Maryland Law Review
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Maryland, American and Baltimore City Bar Associations
- Baltimore Bar Foundation
- Maryland Bar Foundation
- American Bar Foundation
- Maryland Association of Defense Trial Lawyers
- Maryland Self-Insurers & Employers' Compensation Association
Representative Publications and Presentations
- Author, Workers' Compensation Manual (MICPEL, 14 Edition 2009)
- Author, Practice Manual for the Maryland Lawyer (MICPEL, 2008)
- Lecturer, Hot Tips in Workers' Compensation (MICPEL, 2009)
- Lecturer, Workers' Compensation Issues (Circuit Court for Baltimore City, 2009)
- Lecturer, Essentials of Maryland Practice (MICPEL, 2009)
- Lecturer, Handling Workers’ Compensation Cases (Maryland State Bar Association, 2008)
- Lecturer, Hot Tips in Workers’ Compensation (MICPEL, 2008)
- Lecturer, Practical Tips on How to Mediate a Workers’ Compensation Case (Bar Association of Baltimore City, 2008)
- Lecturer, Third Party Cases (Maryland Workers’ Compensation Educational Association, 2007)
- Lecturer, Advanced Mediation Skills (MICPEL, 2006)
- Lecturer, Employer-Employee Relationships in Workers’ Compensation (Maryland State Bar Association, 2006)
Born March 10, 1943, Baltimore, Maryland; Married, Three Children